Sometimes it is better to use graphics than a thousand words to explain a complex topic.
You might have seen a few websites that use timelines to present information in a specific order. It’s an efficient way to display events and data chronologically on a single page.
A timeline can be used to present information effectively and cleanly. For example, you can use the timeline on the “About Us” page to show how your business has grown in the last couple of months/years.
These days, many websites and smartphone apps are adapting timeline-based designs to present their stories. Your Facebook profile page is a great example of that.
Here we will not explain the patterns, traditional designs, or the way stories are presented on social media platforms. Instead, we have showcased eye-catching designs based on a ‘timeline approach.’ These designs will help you figure out how to display data in creative ways and increase customer retention and conversion rate.
Below are the live examples of timelines in web design and infographics for your inspiration. They are listed in no particular order. You need to open websites and templates to see real effects in high resolution.
Table of Contents
25. Computer History
19. BEL 50 Story
18. Android History
14. Inception Movie
13. 100 years of Women’s Fashion
12. Geological Time Piece
11. History of Gay Marriage Bans
10. Largest Bankruptcies in History
8. What A Year
More to Know
Different types of timeline designs
There are many different types of timeline designs you can use based on your specific needs and requirements of the project.
- Linear timeline displays events or milestones in a linear format from left to right or top to bottom. It’s a great option if you want to emphasize the chronology of events.
- Branching timeline shows events leading to different outcomes. It uses multiple interconnected timelines or branching paths to display different threads of events concurrently.
- Infographic-style timeline combines visual elements and illustrations to show information in an engaging and concise manner.
- Interactive timeline allows users to interact with the timing in multiple ways, such as hovering over events for additional data or clicking on events to reveal detailed insights.
- Minimalist timeline focuses on simple and clean design. It only displays essential information and uses fewer visual elements.
What are the best practices for creating a stunning timeline?
Here are some suggestions to make your timeline more effective
- Keep the design simple and easy to navigate
- Use consistent labeling for milestones or events
- Do not include long paragraphs
- Add animations or interactive features to engage users
- Maintain a logical order and hierarchy throughout the timeline
- Use visual elements and colors that align with your project theme or brand
Popular tools to create engaging timelines
You can use Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Google Sheets, Timeline Creator, TimelineJS, or Vis.js to create an impressive timeline within minutes. They have pre-designed templates and functionalities to simplify your design process.