In simple language, Computer software is made of more than one program – Bunch of program makes software. The term software was first used in 1960 to distinguish it from computer hardware. Don’t worry, we will not explain you any technical terms. The question is how you predict the cost of any software?? The answer is simple !! More the LOCs (Line of codes), greater the size of software. With increase in line of code complexity of software increases. (Line of code refers to number of individual statements written in the program)
Conclusion: With increase of complexity and feature in software, price increases. Now you are probably wondering which one is the most expensive. Remember: A software plays a particular role only for which it is designed for. If you are thinking Microsoft Windows or any other operating system is the most complex one, you are wrong!! There are plenty of other software much more complex and expensive than Windows. Most of them are graphical and business tools. Let’s have a look at the List of 16 Most Expensive Software in the World (ever).
Note: Some of them are no longer available for purchase.
16. Adobe Font Folio
Adobe Font Folio is a set of 2,400+ OpenType fonts, developed by numerous renowned type foundries. With innovative features and unsurpassed quality it’s a typeface collection for virtually any task.
- Create for virtually any medium
- Single, cross-platform font file
- Supports Unicode, International text-encoding standard
- Revive top-class typography with small caps, swashes and old-style figures
AutoCAD is a software application for 2d and 3d Computer Aided Design and drafting. It was released in December 1982 and now it is available as mobile web and cloud based app. The product is widely used for making 3 dimensional objects (images). Autodesk Plant Design Suite is a premium product of AutoCAD (one of the most expensive products from AutoCAD) which is used in modern 3 dimension plant and structural modelling.
- Surface analysis and 3d associate array
- Refined interface and Ribbon galleries
- Intelligent command line
- Reality computing
14. Autodesk Maya
Autodesk Maya is a 3d computer graphics software that runs on various platforms, including Windows, Mac OS and Linux. The Software is owned and developed by Autodesk Inc. It is available in 3 languages – English Japanese and Chinese. It is widely used for creating 3d interactive applications and advanced visual effects.
- Professional camera tracking
- Streamlined retopology toolset
- Geodesic Voxel Binding and character creation
- Polygon, surface and subdivision mesh modelling
13. Microsoft SQL Server Business Intelligence
It’s a business intelligence and data management software that empowers organizations to create and deploy scalable and manageable end-to-end business intelligence solution. The software is based on Visual Studio and can be customized with the SQL server services, extensions, project types, ETL dataflows and data mining structure.
- Rapid data exploration and visualization
- Robust data quality and Master data management
- Credible, consistent data and robust data quality
- Basic availability, security and data management
- Data mash-up capabilities with PowerPivot
12. Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN
Visual Studio Ultimate is developed for teams of any size for managing mission critical software investments. It has several tools for designing, building and managing complex enterprise applications. The agile tools and project management capabilities are optimized for big projects – you can easily manage dependencies, largest codebases, and use advanced monitoring and debuggging tools to identify or trace complex application issues.
- Unlimited load testing
- Quality of service enablement
- Code execution history
- Architecture modeling, refactoring, and validation
11. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 15.0
QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions is end-to-end business management tool, which enables customers to file payroll taxes, track inventory, and generate reports, all in one place. The expanded list limits allow you to track over 100,000 customers, vendors and inventory items.
- Run critical reports with ease
- Payment screen search option
- Single-label printing capabilities
- Enhanced inventory troubleshooting
- Batch delete, entry, and reclassify
- Auto copy ship-to address from service order to purchase order
10. Adobe Acrobat Capture 3
Adobe Acrobat Capture was released in November 1996, developed by Adobe System. Since then, it has gone though many changes. Adobe has decided to discontinue the distribution of this volume due to some technical reasons. That’s why Adobe Acrobat Capture 3 is no longer available for purchase. Still, the software is holding a position in our list.
- Review Document step
- Support for PDF version 1.2
- Distiller printer driver and Acrobat catalog
- Advanced workflow operation in Workbench
9. Wayfinding – Base
Wayfinding provides you an opportunity to receive maps/routes, find restaurant, accessible amenities messages and warnings that improve navigating facility.
- Touch enable system
- Visual maps with directions
- Printing of selected and written directions
- QR code for transitions directions between devices
8. HP Intelligent Management Center MPLS VPN Manager Cisco Device
It’s a web based, multi vendor network change, configuration and compliance management solution for routers, switches, firewall and other network devices. MPLS VPN Manager helps you automate and control entire life cycle of device configuration management.
- High productive API driven UI
- High speed discovery engine
- Real-time configuration change tracking
- Compliance monitoring and reporting
- Automating configuration tasks
7. Core Impact PRO
Core Impact PRO is a software of private network security company. The software was first developed in 2002. It provides security intelligence solutions, management and network penetration testing and service.
- Scan network server, firewall, workstation, router and applications
- Rapid Penetration Test (RPT)
- Identifies the vulnerability
- Execute remediation efforts
6. Softimage Face Robot
Softimage Face Robot is 3d computer graphic application owned by Autodesk. It is used for highly interactive 3d computer graphics and animation in video games and film. The software is mostly used by advertising industries for creating virtual character and visual effects.
- Smooth and easy to follow workflow
- Creates beautiful, compelling and realistic images
- Generalized Attribute Transfer Operator (GATOR) allows fast production
- Top notch 3d animation could be used for cinema and game development
VxWorks is the most expensive real time operating system developed by Wind River Systems. It was primarily designed to be used in embedded system, first appeared in 1987. The software is written in Ada, C, C++ and Java. Multitasking kernel, fast interrupt response, IPV6, SMP and AMP support, Error handling framework and round robin scheduling are some major feature in Vxworks that makes it much costlier.
- Error handling framework and symbolic debugging
- Multitasking kernel with RR (Round Robin) scheduling
- Dual mode IPV6 networking stack
- Memory protection, error detection and reporting
4. Source Engine
Left 4 Dead, developed on source engine
One of the most popular games, Counter Strike has been created on Software Source Engine. It is a 3D video game engine developed by Valve Corporation. The software is completely written in C++ (one of the most powerful and fastest computer language). You might have played Half-life 1/2, it is also designed using the Source Engine.
- 3d bump mapping and dynamic 3d wound
- Blended skeletal animation and Water flow effect
- Distributed map compiler
- High dynamic range rendering
3. Renderware SDK
Renderware SDK is a graphics rendering engine and 3d application used to develop video games and VRML browsers. The software was developed by Criterion Software. It is a cross platform tool that runs on Apple’s Mac OS, Microsoft Windows, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, Playstation 2 (and afterwards) and Nintendo GameCube.
- Widely cross platform
- Night Vertex Colors
- Supports numerous RW plugins
- Various Frames and custom materials
2. New World Systems Public Administration Software
New World Systems is one of the most trusted public safety software, having more than 30 years of experience. Judith Miller spent around half a million to implement new public administration software from New Worlds Systems. It is developed to manage an entire branch of local government.
It takes care of fund accounting needs of city, providing modules for financial management, payroll, human resources, utility information, business analytics & dashboards. The system runs on the browser based Microsoft .NET platform.
- 24/7 access via web browser
- Reduced data entry for employees
- Integrated database for better information
- Paperless reporting and approvals
- Enterprise-wide data access
1. CryEngine 3
Price: $1.2 Million
CryEngine 3 is first person shooter game engine developed by Crytek. As the name implies, it is the 3rd volume of CryEngine, first appeared in 2003 by MindArk on Microsoft windows. Many versions are available in the market and now, it works on every platform, including Android, OS X, Xbox one and playstation 4. Far Cry, SNOW. Chris, RobertsSniper: Ghost Warrior 2 are some famous games developed under Crytek’s licensing scheme.
- Real dynamic global illumination
- Data driven sound mixing
- LUA Script Driven AI System
- Deferred lighting and color grading
- Blend layer and “Uber Shader” technology
- Smart object and multi core support